Tuesday 24 June 2014

Hey Ma, look at what HEMA's got



It’s summer in my hemisphere! A string of bright, warm days enticed me to abandon my needle, switch off the computer, and take a stroll into the real world instead of roaming the Web. 
 
My local market
Fridays, an old-fashioned open-air market pitches up in the modern center of our town.  I headed there to savor the atmosphere and pick up some bits and bobs for my embroidery stash.  An itinerant stall is now my only local source of thread. When it comes to picking fibers, as convenient as shopping on the Web is, you just can’t beat seeing colors in real life in full daylight!

 The walk did me good, but left me peckish. So I ducked into Hema, an iconic Dutch chainstore, with a reasonable café.  But I never made it to the coffee bar.  I got waylaid in one of the aisles by a shocking discovery: embroidery gear.  

 
Hema sells useful everyday items like socks, housewares,  towels, and food under its own label.

Hema has added embroidery hoops, aida cloth, needles and a limited line of embroidery thread – echoing this season’s must wear colors -- to its merchandise line, which ranges from clothes to cupcakes.  I was gobsmacked.  Why the shock?

Because Hema, the Netherland’s favorite store, is a barometer of what’s hot, modern, and value for money. The store has flair, style and is hip. Its witty stuff–only Hema branded—exudes simplicity and fun for a moderate price.  Because, to the best of my aging memory, Hema banished needlework and knitting supplies from their stores over 25 years ago!  And now they were back.  

Before my very eyes, knitting and embroidery, in particular, were now being mainstreamed into the consciousness of the thirty-something-year-olds-with-kids.  Handwork was vying with digital pastimes like compiling photo albums or 3-printing.  Or is it the other way round? Is Hema, a marketing savvy organization, tapping into a trend already in society beyond their stores?  Whatever.  Chicken and the Egg.  To me this simple collection of embroidery equipment seems a  harbinger of a renaissance in stitching. I did a mental jig and forgot all about coffee. 

Okay, Hema’s interest in needlework might be a one-season miracle, a flash in the pan, a fad.  As is Hema’s way, the marketing touch is light, playful, and not serious. The small colors range reflects this season’s vibrate tones. No embroidery stitching guides or patterns are on offer.  The idea is:  try it; there is no “right” way to use these materials.  I suspect Hema’s marketing gurus know that the younger generation don’t need instruction manuals anyway, given the library of how-to-stitch videos on YouTube.  Starters do need hoops, fabric needles and thread, stuff they maybe have never seen or thought of.  It’s the “ooo-neat”, titillating quality that makes Hema’s goods irresistible! As an embroiderer, I hope it works.

Hema is expanding its quirky, quintessentially Dutch formula into the UK, France, Belgium, Germany and Spain.  I wonder if the embroidery line will make it into these new stores abroad. Each country is, of course, a different market.  We live in hope.  One thing is for sure.  I had better log off the Net  and get out of the house more regularly to stay attune to what is happening in the real world, often just down the road.  

Update:  One of my "foreign correspondents"  informs me that there are embroidery supplies on offer in Hema's Victoria Station branch in London. Well this surely signals an international renaissance.

2 comments:

  1. Weer een leuk stukje. Ik geef niet vaak commentaar maar weet dat ik je volg en alles uitgebreid lees. Ik geniet ervan. Ben alweer benieuwd naar je volgende hersenspinsels. liefs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bedankt, Cis. Wat ben ik blij dat je vindt wat ik schrijf interesant. Het hoort so te zijn!

      Thanks Cis! I am delighted you enjoy my column/blog. Thanks for being an enthusiastic reader and taking the time to give me feed back!

      Delete